Home of the Bay State Antique Auto Club
In a Grand Manor … The Endicott Estate
The Endicott Estate provides an exciting fifteen-acre panorama of lush green lawn punctuated by stately elm, spruce and weeping willow trees. The site provides a gentle meeting of the past and present, and an ideal setting for the relaxed formality of the mansion itself.
The mansion presents a warm, intimate elegance, conducive to both formal and informal gatherings. Its’ main entrance is protected from the elements by an impressive pillared portico. The structure was built by Henry Bradford Endicott, a descendent of Gilbert Endicott, who arrived from England in 1658. Henry, born in 1853, was a founder of the Endicott-Johnson Shoe Corp., which he transformed into a multi-million dollar enterprise.
The mansion is actual the second home to stand on the grounds. The original homestead burned to the ground in 1904 after the local volunteer fire department, responding to three separate fires burning simultaneously, reached the Endicott fire last. By the time they arrived, it was too late. Only ashes remained. It is said that Henry took the burning of the homestead as a divine command to rebuild. And rebuild he did, in a truly grand manner.
The Estate remained in the Endicott family until 1967 when, upon the death of Henry’s adopted daughter Katherine, it was willed to the Town of Dedham to be used for “educational, civic and recreational purposes”.
This impressive mansion is the home for the Bay State Antique Auto Club. Throughout the years the Club has given generously to the preservation and improvement of the Endicott Estate. We take pride in our Club and we take pride in what we do as a Club. Our relationship with the Endicott Estate is a prime example of that pride.